Thursday, January 24, 2008

Axiomatic (100x4)


Axiomatic

Tell me what you see. Tell me what you think
about what you see. What do you observe?
What can you infer from what you observe?
What is still open to question? Are you stuck?
That’s great! Now you’re in a position to learn
something! “I don’t understand.” That’s the sound
of a door closing. Open the door: Phrase your lack
of understanding as a question. If you can ask
the right question, you’re more than halfway
to an answer. One answer might be fill in the x
Another answer might be y, or z, or m squared.
Still stuck? Shift your point of view. How would
a psychologist answer the question? A lawyer?
Your mother? Your best friend? Triangulate.
Get the stereo view. Broad is the road to deep.


Process Reflection: Started out with the intention to go with 100 words, and had to bend the rules a little to make it work, wound up at 130. Anyway, there are certain moves I ask students to make over and over, certain questions I tend to keep asking, day after day, in class, and I thought it might be interesting to try to come up with a compact version of the drill I do every day. If my classroom is the iceberg, maybe this is the tip.

No comments: