Wednesday, September 17, 2014

64 x 42, 43, 44 (Do, Re, Mi; A, B, C; 1, 2, 3)


I'll say this about the sixty-four word posts: the concept is working. I've been at it for 45 days in a row now, and the routine of nightly writing has established itself. Knowing I only have to write 64 words makes it hard to blow it off on any given night, even though I am often tempted.  Once I'm going, I often keep going.

Like tonight. That first paragraph up there was the 64-word piece, which sometimes can stand on its own, sometimes elicits a process reflection, and sometimes is just a warmup, an intro, a finger pointing in a direction that I find myself inclined to follow. I'm all in favor of getting started. It's all about inertia. Being stuck means you haven't gotten started.


Once you're in motion, it's easier to stay in motion than to stop. The first 64-word paragraph begets the second, and the third (this one) and so on for as long as the enterprise holds interest: for minutes, for hours, forever. But I think I'll stop at three, that most satisfying of sequences, the backbone of argument: Firstly. Secondly. Lastly and most importantly. QED.


No comments: