Thursday, July 25, 2013

Little Enough


Ah, Thursday. The sun shining
on the leaves of the trees outside
my door, the hum of the AC,
the splashes and shrieks of
tweener girls in the pool across
the way.  A perfect day
for writing a poem, for floating
an idea out into the void, for
figuring out first this, then what
comes next. Stand up or stay
seated? Putter or grind? Stay
or go. Never mind; no matter.
Enough to be here. Today's mantra:
I have arrived. I am home.

Process Reflection: What you see. I had a few minutes waiting for Matt to come by, and was sitting at my computer, and the thought occurred to me that if I could write something that would make three days in a row for Throughlines. Just trying to keep the ball rolling. This morning my wife sent me a press release for Thich Nhat Hanh's upcoming world tour which contained a little explanation and endorsement of mindfulness:


Mindfulness is the energy of being aware and awake to the present moment. It is the continuous practice of touching life deeply in every moment of daily life. To be mindful is to be truly present with those around you and with what you are doing. We bring our body and mind into harmony while we wash the dishes, drive the car, take our morning cup of tea, or prepare for a retreat. 
“I have arrived. I am home” 

... It is the practice of dwelling happily in the present moment. We are no longer grasping at the future, regretting the past or being swept away by our feelings of despair or anger. We have arrived at our true home, our true self, no longer seeking to be something else.
So that's the occasion and the inspiration. No big thing. Only words.

No comments: