Friday, August 16, 2013

Recommended


Just a quick notation about some recommended readings tonight, transparently because I've been able to keep posting every day for a while and I don't want to break the string. At some point I will write about them in more detail, at least the Knausgaard, but to do that reading experience justice would be many days' work.

Probably the best books I've read this year have been Book I and Book II of Karl Knausgaard's microscopically detailed and painfully honest multivolume memoir My Struggle. I also really enjoyed Jennifer Haigh's collection of short stories News from Heaven and the novel which set it up, Baker Towers.

In poetry, I was intrigued and impressed with Anne Carson's Autobiography of Red and Red Doc>. That's six suggestions, if you're desperate for something to read.

No comments: